Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 27, 2014

The Big Chill (1983)

Star Rating- 2 1/2
Director- Lawrence Kasdan
Length of Film- 105 minutes 
Cast- Tom Berenger, Glenn Close, Jeff Goldblum, William Hurt, Kevin Kline, Mary Kay Place, Meg Tilly, JoBeth Williams, Don Galloway, James Gillis, Ken Place, Jon Kasdan, Ira Stiltner, Jake Kasdan, & Muriel Moore
Oscar Nominations- Michael Shamberg (best picture), Lawrence Kasdan & Barbara Benedek (screenplay), Glenn Close (actress in support role)








Here's the movie in a nutshell: friend committed suicide so everyone from college got together for the funeral and ended up spending the weekend at married couples house, Sarah (Glenn Close) & Harold (Kevin Kline). The whole movie takes place in a weekend and at this one house. 

The greatest part about this movie is the soundtrack:


  1. Marvin Gaye – "I Heard It Through The Grapevine" (Extended version)
  2. The Temptations – "My Girl"
  3. The Young Rascals – "Good Lovin'"
  4. The Miracles – "The Tracks of My Tears"
  5. Three Dog Night – "Joy to the World"
  6. The Temptations – "Ain't Too Proud to Beg"
  7. Aretha Franklin – "(You Make Me Feel Like A) Natural Woman"
  8. Smokey Robinson & The Miracles – "I Second That Emotion"
  9. Procol Harum – "A Whiter Shade of Pale"
  10. The Exciters – "Tell Him"
  11. Creedence Clearwater Revival – "Bad Moon Rising"
  12. Percy Sledge – "When a Man Loves a Woman"
  13. The Young Rascals – "In the Midnight Hour"
  14. The Spencer Davis Group – "Gimme Some Lovin'"
  15. The Band – "The Weight"
  16. The Beach Boys – "Wouldn't It Be Nice"
  17. Bert Kaempfert – "Strangers in the Night"
  18. The Rolling Stones – "You Can't Always Get What You Want" (Church version)
  19. "J. T. Lancer Theme"
  1. Four Tops – "It's the Same Old Song"
  2. Martha & The Vandellas – "Dancing in the Street"
  3. Marvin Gaye – "What's Going On"
  4. The Marvelettes – "Too Many Fish in the Sea"
  5. Marvin Gaye and Tammi Terrell – "Ain't Nothing Like the Real Thing"
  6. Jimmy Ruffin – "What Becomes of the Brokenhearted"
  7. Jr. Walker & The All Stars – "Shotgun"
  8. Doobie Brothers – "Take Me in Your Arms (Rock Me a Little While)"
  9. The Supremes – "Ask Any Girl"
  10. Lesley Gore – "You Don't Own Me"
  11. Spanky & Our Gang – "Like to Get to Know You"
  12. The Mamas and The Papas – "Monday, Monday"
  13. Moody Blues – "Nights in White Satin (The Night)"
  14. Joe Cocker – "Feeling Alright"
  15. Wayne Fontana & The Mindbenders – "Game of Love"
  16. James Brown – "I Got You (I Feel Good)"
  17. Blues Magoos – "(We Ain't Got) Nothin' Yet"
  18. The Zombies – "Time of the Season"
  19. Howard Tate – "Get It While You Can"

The big shocker in my opinion on why this movie is considered "one of the best" is when Meg (Mary Kay Place) talks to Sarah about wanting to have a baby:
Meg: They're either married or gay. And if they're not gay, they've just broken up with the most wonderful woman in the world, or they've just broken up with a bitch who looks exactly like me. They're in transition from a monogamous relationship and they need more space. Or they're tired of space, but they just can't commit. Or they want to commit, but they're afraid to get close. They want to get close, and you don't want to get near them.
Sarah: It can't be that bad.
Meg: I don't know. I'm goin' easy. I've been out there dating for twenty years. I've gotten where I can tell in the first fifteen seconds if there's a chance in the world.
Sarah: Well, at least you're giving them a fair shot.
Meg: Yeah, that's easy for you to say. Married to Harold, the perfect man. I don't know. Sometimes, I think I don't even want a man anymore. So here I sit on my ticking biological clock, and the only thing I've known in my entire life is that I want to have a child. Don't remind me. This probably was the right thing to do at the time.
Sarah: So, what do ya do?
Meg: I'm gonna have a baby.
Sarah: What?
Meg: Now, I've been taking my temperature and I know I'm ovulating right now. The ground is ready. I just need someone to plant the seed.
Sarah: Yeah, but who's gonna be the lucky farmer?
Meg: These are the best guys I know. My favorite men in the world. Unfortunately, Nick, as I discover I'm the last to know, is no longer a candidate. Michael's a possibility, but considering everything, I think a fall-back position...So that leaves Sam...
Sarah: Have you discussed this with Sam, or are you just gonna plan a surprise attack?
Meg: Why should he have a problem with it? I mean there won't be any obligations. I love him as a friend. I assume he loves me. He'd do anything for me.
Sarah: You know, somehow, I feel it isn't quite this simple. You know, for one thing, it doesn't always happen the first time.
Meg: That's not what they told us in high school.

In a TWIST of events, Sarah asks her HUSBAND to give her friend a baby. She's waiting there in the bedroom, they strip down a do it the old fashioned way, I mean...no jerking off in a cup and then inserting it in the girl...she let her husband sleep with another woman, and you know Sarah had a hard time with this decision, because she was hanging out in the kitchen pantry. So sad... so selfless.... so not anything I would EVER do. I'm not that good of a friend. WOW! 

I wouldn't necessarily consider this a high candidate for being in the book. The only memorable part in this film Harold sleeping with Meg to get her pregnant and the music. I know the movie is supposed to be about the bond of these 7 friends and how life changes for everyone and even though everyones life is on a different path, that when a tragedy strikes, the bond forms again. I get that...but the movie isn't life changing. Truthfully, they could've gotten in a lot more trouble and done way more risque things, but the film was made in 1983, they hadn't broken that barrier yet. 

The movie's just blah...very vanilla. Make your opinion, but when the next edition comes out, they can nix this one I will not be upset :-) Happy viewing!





No comments:

Post a Comment